Bit is an open-source toolchain for composing modern applications from independent components. In the Bit world, we build components not apps. The only thing our workspace contains are components, and the app is just another component. Each component can be a composition of many other components that eventually compose the entire app, that is essentially one big component. In Bit we never have a project, we never have an application, as having an application is against the nature of Component Driven Architecture.
Instead of building an application that consists of lots of components, we build lots of components that are composed to build many different applications. This is another way of thinking. The application is just a deployment therefore it has no meaning. It's just a composition of everything that is deployed to somewhere. Building with Bit helps you build more modular, maintainable, testable, and reusable code.
Bit Cloud is a cloud hosting service for components. It provides developers and teams with an end-to-end solution for hosting, organizing, discovering, consuming, updating, and collaborating on components. It is possible to use Bit with or without Bit Cloud.
Bit is not only a more efficient way of doing things, it's a revolutionary way of doing it. It's a totaly new mindset. When you think only about efficienty, you keep on building more applications trying to improve the process of working and building these applications in the existing tool chain - in the existing manner. But If you are thinking the wrong way - if you are thinking in apps and not in components - then your core assemptions are wrong.
We can help you solve this mental model. Bit works on the component model. If each of your components are individual you can build micro frontends with just the component model. With Bit we want you to think in components, to think in a more modular way, to think differently about how you start to build new features. Think more in components and less in apps.
- Build a component eco system.
- Create a better collaboration workflow around your components.
- Publish individual components, and scale the amount of components you are publishing.
- Organize components, consume components with a great development experience.
- Standardize the way to build components.
- Organize components in a central place which allows you to easily onboard new people with discoverability of components.
- Integrate different components.
- Easily manage dependencies for a variety of components.
Bit makes the process of building modular applications and the development, publishing and management of independent components really easy. It focuses on the publishing process of components whereas the consumption of components is handled by package managers such as npm or yarn.
- To get started follow this guide.
- Watch our short videos to help you understand Bit better.
- Read next steps to start learning how you can adopt and use Bit.
- Learn what is Bit to have a better understanding of its capabilities.
- Dive deeper into how Bit works in Building with Bit.
- Extend and customize Bit in Extending Bit.
- Discover the Building blocks of Bit in our Aspects section.
Workshop on Getting started with Bit, Composing components, Exporting components and Consuming components in a React application.
Harmony introduces major improvements to Bit and how developers should build their components. At the moment it supports React, React Native and NodeJS. For teams using Angular or Vue, it is recommended to get started with Bit's v14 release here.
Bit v15 Harmony is used by many teams and is the underlying infrastructure for Bit and bit.dev. We decided to tag it as an open beta as there are still major features coming. If you are building any React/React-native and NodeJS based systems, we urge you to get started with v15.
- Chat on Slack 🍻
- Start a discussion or suggest a feature or a fix on GitHub 🔧
- Find more resources and learn about Bit some more.
While Bit is a 100% open source platform where you can create your own Bit-server, bit.dev is a cloud service provided by Bit, where you can quickly set an account and publish your components. bit.dev is free for open source components and projects.